This post is prepared on the grounds of information collected from Reigate and Banstead Council. Application process may vary depending on the Council, thus, always contact your Council to get the most up to date and accurate information.
# Who can become a private hire driver?
Person who is at least 21 years old and has a valid driving license for last 12 months can apply for a private hire driver’s licence. The application has to be made to the Council. This is the Council which will assess your fit for this profession.
All applicants have to meet medical standards to be fit. Normally this is the same health standard as the current DVLA Group 2 medical standard for vocational drivers. In addition, it is compulsory for applicants to pass a knowledge test. The knowledge test is compulsory at Reigate and Banstead Council but by some other Councils it may be not required – check with your interest Council weather you have to take the test.
# How to apply for a private hire licence?
- Pay the search fee (payment can be done to the Licensing Department of your Council by phone, they will also make an appointment for you to receive your application and supplementary documents)
- Get ready with your documents. These documents were required by Reigate and Banstead in October 2014:
• A recent passport sized photo.
• Your driving licence showing your current UK address (both the photo card and paper counterpart).
• Proof of right to work in the UK (for example, passport and visa).
• The ID proof necessary to start a Disclosure and Barring Service (‘DBS’) application on-line. ID Proof may include for example: a current valid passport, driving licence or two proofs of current address.
- Medical report from your doctor.
- Bring your documents and the application form to the appointment.
- Do the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check on-line when you are back home after your appointment (you will be explained how to do it during your appointment).
- Pass the knowledge test.
- Pay the licence fee.
If you satisfy all requirements you are a happy private hire driver!